Sunday, February 4, 2007

First post - what's the point

Since I arrived in my new job as curator (a little over 2 years now) I've been keeping a private work diary. But so many interesting things I find on the web are from other librarians (often those new to the field), I figure I can go public and air some issues and how I deal with them. In doing so, I think I can contribute to this Web 2.0 or Library 2.0 of social interaction.

So what's going on lately? I'm co-curating an exhibit. Usually in my institution two years is a reasonable time to work on an exhibit. In our case, we received five months. In fact, even though the show opens in three weeks, I have not finalized everything yet. Only a few of the labels are written, although I think that will go quickly. For the most part it's been going smoothly, although the person in charge of physically mounting the exhibit is sometimes difficult to work with (lots of passive-aggressive attitude). So I've brought home pics of the materials in the potential exhibit frames. After meeting a friend, I'll be writing labels later this afternoon and evening. Meanwhile, this week at work, I have to finalize the material that will appear in the cases so I can start writing labels for those.

If there were only more hours in the day.

No comments: