Monday, February 18, 2008

Why I joined SLA

Trained as a musician, I always thought I was going to be an academic. Once I decided to be a librarian, I worked (and still work) in a public library. So why did I recently join SLA - the Special Libraries Association? I'm sure I'll develop more as time goes on, but for now, in no particular order:

  1. I wanted to take advantage of their Leadership & Management library of 998 (count 'em - 998) ebooks.
  2. I wanted to network with an incredibly wide variety of individuals
  3. In this ever-shrinking world, I wanted to get a view of how libraries function in a for-profit environment
  4. I want to learn more about how special librarians are able to deliver product to their customers
  5. I want to see what is Knowledge Management for myself
  6. Finally: I don't want to feel guilty the next time I hear Stephen Abram speak.

No comments: